|NAME OF COURSE/MODULE:||CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY AND MATERIALS I|
|NAME(S) OF ACADEMIC STAFF:||Ar. Fadli Arabi|
|RATIONALE FOR THE INCLUSION OF THE COURSE/MODULE IN THE PROGRAMME:||To integrate the knowledge of technology and building material in the architectural design.
To provide basic understanding of basic construction technology and building material.
|SEMESTER AND YEAR OFFERED:||YEAR 1 / SEMESTER 1|
|TOTAL STUDENT LEARNING TIME (SLT)||FACE TO FACE||TOTAL GUIDED AND INDEPENDENT LEARNING|
|L = Lecture
T = Tutorial
P = Practical
L + T + P + O = 42 HOURS
|PREREQUISITE (IF ANY):||NONE|
|OBJECTIVES:||This unit aims to provide students with opportunities to develop:
1. To introduce students the basic knowledge in building construction and material technology which including soil mechanics and types of building foundation.
2. To introduce students to building materials in the building industries building structures and building components; and the introduction of basic construction in relation to building design.
3. To introduce students to the responsibility of architect and others profession at site and personnel involved in the building industries; the organization chart at a building site.
4. To introduce students to the safety and environmental awareness at site.
5. To introduce to building authority agencies and organizations which are directly related to the building industries.
|At the end of the course the student will have:
|TEACHING-LEARNING AND ASSESSMENT STRATEGY:||Teaching-learning strategy:
|This course introduce students to the world of the construction industry; organization of construction industry construction technology in building construction and exposure to the agencies and parties whom are directly or indirectly involved with the industry. It also introduce the basic elements and components in buildings; introduction to soil mechanics and choice of building foundation; introduction to wood as construction material and details in brick works. General safety issues at a construction site will also be introduced.|
|MODE OF DELIVERY:||Lecture, Tutorial|
|ASSESSMENT METHODS AND TYPES:|
|A. Continuous Assessment (40%)|
|B. Final Examination (60%)|
|MAIN REFERENCES SUPPORTING THE COURSE||1. Ali, A & Brebbia, C A. (2006). Digital Architecture & Construction (wit transaction on the Built Environment. Wit Pc/Computational Mechanics.
2. Weston R. (2003). Materials, Form & Architecture. Yale University Press.
3. Friedman, D. (1995). Historical Building Construction: Design, Materials &Technology. W. W. Norton & Co.
4. Olin, HB., et.al. (1995). Construction Principles, Materials, and Methods.6th Edition. Van Nostrand Reinhold.
|ADDITIONAL REFERENCES SUPPORTING THE COURSE||NIL|
ZAT1103 | CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY AND MATERIALS I webmaster .