|NAME OF COURSE / MODULE||ETHNIC RELATIONS|
|NAME(S) OF ACADEMIC STAFF|
|RATIONALE FOR THE INCLUSION OF THE COURSE/MODULE IN THE PROGRAMME||This course is developed for first year students to provide an exposure on the aspects of Malaysian plural society, ethnic identities, as well as the roles played by various parties, government and private sectors in nation development. It is important to all Malaysians to understand the fact that Malaysian future well-being relies on the mutual understanding among various ethnics that comprises its society to live in harmony.|
|SEMESTER & YEAR OFFERED||Semester 1/ Year 1|
|TOTAL STUDENT LEARNING TIME (SLT)||
L=lecture ; T=Tutorial; P=Practical; O=Others (Exam)
|Total Guided and Independent Learning:
|CREDIT VALUE||84.5/40 = 2.11 (2 credit)|
|PREREQUISITE (IF ANY)||Nil|
|OBJECTIVES||1. To provide student with concept of ethnic relations, plural society and ethnic diversity.
2. To expose the factors, process, and issues in political, economic and social development in Malaysia.
|LEARNING OUTCOMES||At the end of the course, students will be able to:
1. Explain the basic concepts of ethnic relations, plurality of culture, society and ethnic diversity. (LO1 – C2,CT2)
2. Elaborate the importance of ethnic relations in the process of political development, economic, social consensus and tolerance as the primary basis for creating harmonious ethnic relations in Malaysia. (LO7 – S3,LL2)
3. Demonstrate the creative learning experience, communication skills, teamwork, finding information and disclosures in the field work associated with the social and cultural of Malaysia. (LO5 – A3,TS3,LS2)
|TRANSFERABLE SKILLS||Students should be able to familiarize various concepts in ethnic relations, understand the Malaysian society better, and work in team.|
|TEACHING-LEARNING AND ASSESSMENT STRATEGY||Teaching-learning strategy:
|SYNOPSIS||This course discusses the basic concepts of ethnic relations, society and culture. Discussion topics will examine the process of political development, socio-cultural and economic as well as its relationship with ethnic relations in Malaysia, which aims to create awareness of the nation building philosophy according to the casting Malaysian society that is rich in diversity of race, background, religion and customs. It is also meant to understand that challenges and issues related to ethnic relations in Malaysia are unique. It also provides awareness and understanding to students about the contributions made and roles played by various parties to create harmonious ethnic relations towards achieving the objectives of the concept of 1Malaysia.|
|MODE OF DELIVERY||Lecture and SCL|
|Assessment methods and types||
|Content outline of the course/module and SLT per topic||
|References||1. Ahmad Ibrahim & Alianah Joned. Ahmad Ibrahim & Alianah Joned. (1987). (1987). Sistem Undang-undang Malaysia. Malaysian Legal System. Kuala Lumpur: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka. Kuala Lumpur: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.
2. Andaya, Barbara Watson & Leonard Y. Andaya, Barbara Watson and Leonard Y. Yahya (1982). John (1982). A History of Malaya. A History of Malaya. NY: St. NY: St. Martin Press. Martin Press.
3. Hanna, Williard A. Hanna, Williard A. (1964). The Formation of Malaysia. (1964). The Formation of Malaysia. NY: American Universities Field Staff. NY: American Universities Field Staff.
4. Mansor Mohd Noor. Mansor Mohd Noor. (2007). Hubungan Etnik di Malaysia. (2007). Ethnic Relations in Malaysia. Petaling Jaya: Printice Hall. Petaling Jaya: Printice Hall.
5. Mohamed Noordin Sopiee. Mohamed Noordin Sopiee. (1974). From Malayan Union to Singapore Separation. (1974). From Malayan Union to Singapore Separation. KL: UM Press. Kuala Lumpur: UM Press.
6. Mohamed Suffian Hashim, Tun, (1984), Mengenal Perlembagaan Malaysia, Edisi Kedua, Kuala Lumpur, Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka. Mohamed Suffian Hashim, Tun, (1984), Introduction to the Constitution of Malaysia, Second Edition, Kuala Lumpur, Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.
7. Paimah Atoma et.al (2008). Modul Pengajian Hubungan Etnik di Malaysia. Paimah Atoma et.al (2008). Module Studies Ethnic Relations in Malaysia. Johor Bahru: Cetak Ratu Sdn Bhd. Johor Bahru: Cetak Ratu Sdn Bhd.
8. Shamsul Amri Baharuddin (ed.). (2007). Shamsul Amri Baharuddin (ed.). (2007). Modul Hubungan Etnik. Ethnic Relations Module. Shah Alam: Pusat Penerbitan Universiti (UPENA), UiTM. Shah Alam: Pusat Penerbitan Universiti (UPENA), UiTM.
UTE1012 | ETHNIC RELATIONS webmaster .