|1.||NAME OF COURSE / MODULE||Anaesthesiology & Critical Care|
|3.||NAME(S) OF ACADEMIC STAFF||Coordinator
Visiting Lecturers (Hospital Ampang)
Dr. Mohd Sany bin Shoib
Dr. Rosnah bt Abdul Latif
Dr. Kumaran A/L Sinniah
Dr. Normah bt Abdullah
Dr. Raziman bin Abd Razak
|4.||RATIONALE FOR THE INCLUSION OF THE COURSE/MODULE IN THE PROGRAMME||Compulsory Programme Course|
|5.||SEMESTER & YEAR OFFERED||Semester 1 & 2/ Year 6|
|6.||TOTAL STUDENT LEARNING TIME (SLT)||Face to face:
L=Lecture; BST=Bedside teaching; CW=Clinical work; S=Seminar; O=Others (Exam)
|Total Guided and Independent Learning:
|7.||CREDIT VALUE||88/40=2.2 (2 credit)|
|8.||PREREQUISITE (IF ANY)||Nil|
|9.||OBJECTIVES||By the end of the course, the students are expected to:
1. Understand the principles of preoperative assessment, intraoperative monitoring and postoperative care.
2. Understand the basic pharmacology of common anaesthetic agents.
3. Understand the management of common perioperative complications.
4. Understand the principles of critical care.
5. Acquire proper attitude and ethics in patient care.
|10.||LEARNING OUTCOMES||Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Perform relevant history taking and physical assessment for patients undergoing surgery. (LO4, CS5)
2. Suggest appropriate mode of anaesthesia for patients undergoing surgery. (LO3, C5, CTPS5)
3. Outline the holistic management in Critical Care. (LO3, C5, CTPS5)
4. Perform required procedures with appropriate techniques under supervision. (LO2, P4)
5. Behave in ethical manner with consideration to Islamic values when dealing with patients, colleagues and other health care professionals. (LO6, A5, EM3)
|11.||TRANSFERABLE SKILLS||· Improving basic clinical skills (setting IV cannula, assembling IV drip set, preparing drugs, preparing nebulizer solutions, NG tube insertion, urinary catheter insertion, ETT suctioning, ECG leads application)
· Airway management on mannequin
· Effective communication
· Critical thinking and problem solving
· Professional ethics
|12.||TEACHING-LEARNING AND ASSESSMENT STRATEGY||Teaching-learning strategy:
|13.||SYNOPSIS||This 2 –week Anaesthesiology & Critical Care Posting posting teaches about the principles of the perioperative anaesthetic management of patients undergoing both elective and emergency surgery, including fluid and pain management. The students will also be introduced on the principles of managing critically ill patients. They can improve their basic clinical skills and perform or assist some basic anaesthetic procedures.
The teaching and learning process will take place in the Operation Theatre (OT) and the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
|14.||MODE OF DELIVERY||Lectures, procedures/ practical sessions (in Operating Theatre, Intensive Care Unit) on-call duties and bedside teaching.|
|15.||Assessment methods and types||
|16.||Content outline of the course/module and SLT per topic||
|18.||OTHER ADDITIONAL INFORMATION||Nil|
PAE6032 | ANAESTHESIOLOGY & CRITICAL CARE webmaster .