This course begins with the history and development of new media and its assimilation into the society. The course will discuss and expose students to the potential benefits of using new media and they unintended consequences to the society. Particularly the roles of new media in social communication, business, education, politics and government, entertainment, during emergency and natural disaster and in dakwah works will be emphasized. The course will also discuss the application and challenges of the new media towards individuals, family, society as well as organizations. The capability of new media in education the society towards Islamic teaching by the new media players will be discussed too.
- Green, Lelia (2010). An introduction to new media. Oxford: Oxford International Publishers Ltd.
- Levinson, Paul (2009). New new media. Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
- Lister, M., Dovey, J., Giddings, S., Grant I. and Kelly K. (2010). New media – A critical introduction (2nd). New York: Routledge.
- Nayar, P. K. (2010). An introduction to new media and cybercultures. Sussex: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Zulkiple Abd. Ghani, 2003. Islam, Komunikasi dan Teknologi Maklumat. Kuala Lumpur: Utusan Publication and Distributors Sdn. Bhd.