This course will expose the students with various methodologies applied by scholars in the religious study. The emphasis will be given on two approaches which are most applicable in Malaysia i.e. the methodology used by the Muslim and the Western scholars. Topics discussed will be based on the critical analysis, enumerative, descriptive, travelogue, religious anthropology, religious sociology and others.
- Al-Darraz, Muhammad Abdullah. 1990. Al-Din: Buhuth Mumahhidah Li Dirasah Tarikh Al-Adyan. Kuwayt: Dar Al-Qalam.
- Al-Sharqawi, Muhammad Abdullah. 1986. Fi Muqaranah Al-Adyan: Buhuth Wa Dirasat. Misr: Dar Hidayah.
- Danel L. Pals. 2006. Eight Theories of Religion. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kamar Oniah Kamaruzaman. 2003. Early Muslim Scholarship in Religionswissenchaft. Kuala Lumpur: ISTAC.
- Seth D. Kunin. 2003. Religion: the Modern Theories. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.