This course provides opportunities for students to produce and distribute their own community newspaper, USIM Today/Al-yaum. Some important aspects that will be emphasized in the course are newspaper layout, copy editing and newspaper editorial management. The course involves undertaking a number of journalistic roles – reporter, sub-editor, chief of staff, columnist, photographer, and leader writer – producing one or more issues of USIM Today/ Al-yaum newspaper.
- Grundy, Bruce. 2007. So You Want To Be A Journalist? Melbourne, Australia: Cambridge University Press.
- Harrower, Tim. 2006. Inside Reporting: A Practical Guide To The Craft of Journalism (first edition). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Harrower, Tim. 2007. The Newspaper Designer’s Handbook (6th edition). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Yusof Hussain (ed.). 2003. Mass Media In Selected Muslim Countries. Kuala Lumpur: IIUM University Press.
- Stovall, James Glen & Mullins, Edward. 2006. The Complete Editor. 2nd, New York: Pearson, Allyn & Bacon.