|1.||NAME OF COURSE / MODULE||BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT I|
|3.||NAME(S) OF ACADEMIC STAFF||
|4.||RATIONALE FOR THE INCLUSION OF THE COURSE/MODULE IN THE PROGRAMME||Basic Medical Science Course|
|5.||SEMESTER & YEAR OFFERED||Semester 1 & 2 / Year 1|
|6.||TOTAL STUDENT LEARNING TIME (SLT)||Face to face:
L=lecture ; SGD=Self Group Discussion; P=Practical; O=Others (Exam)
|Total Guided and Independent Learning:
|7.||CREDIT VALUE||87/40= 2.18 (2 credit )|
|8.||PREREQUISITE (IF ANY)||Nil|
|10.||LEARNING OUTCOMES||Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
|12.||TEACHING-LEARNING AND ASSESSMENT STRATEGY||Teaching-learning strategy:
Interactive lecture & discussions sessions
|13.||SYNOPSIS||This course is designed to expose the students to theories of psychology and sociology that would help students develop healthy personal and interpersonal behaviors. The course would instill an understanding of factors influencing one’s personality, strategies to improve accuracy of his/her perceptions and dealing with conflicts and stress. The importance of interpersonal communication skills and teamwork will be discussed. Students will learn proper and effective time management and study techniques. The students also are required to apply skills in critical thinking and decision making in learning and relationship with others in their daily life. The teaching will be in the form of lectures and small group discussions. At the end of the course, students will have to carry out a visit to welfare homes, followed by group presentations.|
|14.||MODE OF DELIVERY||Lecture, Self Group Discussions, Visit, Debate|
|15.||Assessment methods and types||
|16.||Content outline of the course/module and SLT per topic||
1. Joseph A. Devito. 2007. The Interpersonal Communication Book. Eleventh Edition. Pearson International Edition.
1. Coon D. 2005. Psychology A Journey.
2. Compton.C.W. 2005. Introduction to Positive Psychology. Thomson Learning
3. H.B Gelatt & Carol Gelatt. 2003. Creative Decision Making. Revised Edition. Thomson Course Technology (Crisp Series).
4. Mei-whei Chen & Christopher J. Rybak. 2004. Group Leadership Skills. Thomson.
5. Richard W. Malott & Elizabeth A. Trojan. 2004. Principles of Behavior. Fifth Edition. Pearson Education.
6. Steve Chandler. 2001. 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself. Revised Edition. Career Press.
7. Vincent Ryan Ruggiero. 2006. The Art of Thinking : A Guide to Critical and Creative Thought. Eight Edition. Pearson Education.
PAU1012 | BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT I webmaster .